When the cold of winter hits, there is nothing more comforting than a nourishing chicken and vegetable soup full of flavour. This soup is a complete meal containing a balance of protein, slow releasing carbs and vegetables, makes the perfect winter’s lunch.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 sticks celery, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 2 parsnip, diced
- 1 cup Mount Zero Persian Red Lentils
- 1kg chicken breasts, cut into 4 pieces
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pot over low-medium heat. Add onion, leek, garlic and spices and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until vegetables are soft but not coloured. Add carrots, celery, zucchini and parsnip, and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, lentils, chicken pieces and 1 cup cold water. Increase heat high and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes – until vegetables are tender, lentils al dente and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from soup and allow to cool slightly. Roughly chop and return to soup.
- Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and serve. Top with freshly chopped parsley if you wish.
RECIPE: Jacinta Hedley, EMPOWERFIT
Download the recipe here.
Shop ingredients in our pantry